Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

   So, I'm starting a new thing: Tasty Tuesday...lets just hope I follow through with it. Anyways, every tuesday I will post a recipe that I have cooked recently that I feel is worthy of sharing with y'all. (hince the name, Tasty Tuesday) Come on, who doesn't love a delicious summer recipe? If you say no then your brain is tricking you.  Most of the meals will be pretty healthy so no worries! For the first rendition of Tasty Tuesday, I am going to share one of my mom's traditional summer meals... tilapia with roasted sweet potatoes and squash. Y'all, this is like my favorite meal...no joke. I could eat it for dinner every single night. I whipped this dinner up on Sunday night with ease...there's nothing to it. It is simple, healthy, and flavorful.  Here goes nothing...

So for the roasted veggies you'll need a sweet potatoe, squash, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. (You can use any type of vegetable such as brocolie, asparagus, carrots, etc...but the sweet potatoe/squash combination is my all-time favorite)
  • pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
  • peel sweet potatoe
  • slice sweet potatoe into cubes
  • slice the squash
  • put all of the veggies into a bowl along with about 3 tbsp of olive oil (depends how many veggies you use) and toss it all together



  • spread the veggies evenly onto a pan, and sprinkle salt and pepper on top...yes that's it! just salt and pepper

  • put the veggies in the oven and let them bake for about 50 minutes, or until the edges look crispy/golden
Okay, now onto the fish. You'll need tilapia, (I get mine from Sams..comes in a bag with like 10 individually wrapped pieces at 100 calories per piece) lemmon pepper, and Italian dressing.
  • thaw out your tilapia
  • place it on a pan, and sprinkle it with lemon pepper
  • add italian dressing onto the fish (not too much---use your best judgement) and let it marinate before cooking for about 30-45 min


  • put the fish in along with the veggies when there is 20 minutes remaining on the time, and turn oven up to 425 degrees
  • when the fish flakes off with ease, your food is ready!

Dinner is served...........
I know I know, my veggies got a littleeeee brown...still tasted great :)


   Well, there ya have it...the first Tasty Tuesday. And yes, I know this is such a simple meal, but y'all it's wonderful and super nutritious! A very special thanks to my mom for teaching me how to cook, and for letting me share her traditional summer meal. It's always better when Mom cooks it. :)

     I'm going to take a complete 180 degree turn and leave y'all with this picture I snapped this weekend. If this doesn't get you ready for football season then I don't know what will!
Happy Tuesday and Go Dawgs!

No comments:

Post a Comment